This site uses cookies to improve user experience and experience. If you choose to continue viewing, you automatically accept their use. Detailed information

eTourist

Interreg Greece-Bulgaria

Monuments

Scan with our application for additional information.Barcode ScanYou can download our application from Google Play and App Store

Tour: Alexandroupolis - Traianoupoli - Loutros - Doriskos – Feres

Alexandroupolis in Evros, Greece
Distance (by car): 37.0 km,
Duration (by car): 53'
 
First stop: Alexandroupolis. A transit trade center between Asia, the Mediterranean and the Balkans. It is the larger port of Thrace. The lighthouse of the port is 27 meters high and has 6 stone steps with a 23 mile radius of light and it has been imposing on the port since 1880, as one of the city's dominant attractions. The lighthouse (called the lighthouse of Dede-Agats), restless, casts its light on the sea and land, still keeping the old name of Alexandroupolis alive on the nautical maps.
 
In the city of Alexandroupolis you can visit a number of interesting museums, such as the Historical Museum, the Ethnological Museum of Thrace, the Ecclesiastical Museum of the Metropolis of Alexandroupolis and the Museum of Natural History.
 
The Historical Museum of Alexandroupolis has a total area of 700 sq.m. which are developed on four levels. In the basement of the building are kept all the collections, the archive material and the library of the Museum. The museum has a remarkable collection of paintings mainly by local artists.
 
The Ethnological Museum of Thrace of Mrs. Giannakidou, operates in a neoclassical stone building, constructed in 1899, which was the summer residence of Adrianopolitan businessman, Altinalmazis. In 1998, it was renovated by the Polychronis Giannakidis family with the aim of establishing the Ethnological Museum of Thrace. The Museum's internal area, the exhibition material, the music lobby, the use of multimedia, its shop and café are good reasons for a visit. The new mission of the museum makes the building a center for the promotion of Thracian culture, as well as a place for research and intellectual inspiration.
The Ecclesiastical Museum of the Metropolis of Alexandroupolis is located in the courtyard of the Metropolitan Cathedral of Saint Nicholas. It was founded in 1976 by the former Metropolitan of Alexandroupolis and the current Metropolitan of Thessaloniki, Anthimos.
The Ecclesiastical Museum's Collection includes more than four hundred valuable relics of ecclesiastical art. These worship objects derive, mainly, from the geographical area around Evros river and belong to the 16th - 20th century.
 
The Archaeological Museum of Alexandroupolis opened its doors to the public on March 27, 2018, hosting the periodic exhibition of the Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki "Redestos - Thessaloniki" - Antiquities on a Refugee Journey". The main attraction of the exhibition is the marble antiquities that collected since 1871 onwards by the Thracian Educational Association, which were moved to Thessaloniki by refugees after the evacuation of Eastern Thrace in 1922 and since then become part of the "Archaeological Museum" Thessaloniki.
 
The Natural History Museum of Alexandroupolis in the village of Maistros. The Museum was built in a beautiful place of the Platanotopos of Maistros (Eastern settlement of Alexandroupolis). It is a modern building fully harmonized with the natural environment.
 
In Alexandroupolis and Makri the visitor has the opportunity to eat fish in the fish taverns but also in the fish whole market, which is one of the largest in Greece. The most beloved Alexandroupolis fish are monkfish, vatos (skate), mullet, sardines and large shrimp.
 
About 20 km west of Alexandroupolis is located the zone of Ancient Mesimvria.
 
Located 14 km away from Alexandroupolis, heading towards the Greek-Turkish borders, on the National Road, the Thermal baths of Traianoupolis have been in operation, which have been a major attraction since ancient times. The old baths consist of two vaulted buildings of the 16th-century, each with a storage tank and changing rooms. The construction of the new baths began in 1962 and completed in 1964.
 
Rate:

News

Events from the two border regionsTraining on eTOURIST project in Greece
Training on eTOURIST project in Greece

A 3-day training "Traditional culinary and wines" within the project „Promotion and development of natural and ...

06.07.2020 Read
COVID-19: COMMUNICATION FROM THE COMMISSION
COVID-19: COMMUNICATION FROM THE COMMISSION

EUROPEAN COMMISSION - PRESS RELEASE  Coronavirus: Commission encourages and facilitates cross-border treatment of patients ...

10.04.2020 Read
Мessage about the Covid-19 virus
Мessage about the Covid-19 virus

Dear Members of the Interreg Community, True to our institutional responsibility, the Managing Authority of European ...

03.04.2020 Read
Promoting and developing the natural and cultural heritage of the Bulgarian-Greek cross-border region through smart and electronic instruments - eTOURIST

"This webpage has been produced with the financial assistance of the European Union. The contents of the webpage are sole responsibility of and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union, the participating countries the Managing Authority and the Joint Secretariat".

"The Project is co-funded by the European Regional Development Fund and by national funds of the countries participating in the Interreg V-A “Greece-Bulgaria 2014-2020” Cooperation Programme."
European UnionThe project is implemented with the financial support of the EU